You know the problem with Pinterest and HGTV? They make little "Before & After" home improvement projects look like they should take just an instant. Here's your before, here's your after! Ta da!
So for full disclosure, this is not one of those stories.
Last summer I picked up this outdoor furniture at the Stormville Flea Market in upstate New York. We hadn't even closed on our house yet, but I was so excited about the potential outdoor space that I decided to snap them up and hope our seller didn't back out.
Thankfully, it didn't jinx us, and we closed on the house about a month later. Even more thankfully, my mother-in-law was willing to stuff this chair, a love seat, a dining table, four chairs and a hanging swing into her Suburban (and store it!) until we moved in. I know, don't be jealous, my mother-in-law is a hero.
So that was last summer. Fast forward to this year and the chair and love seat (which I fully planned on redoing HGTV style) were still, well, not redone.
Thankfully my parents visited this July and their get-it-done attitude spurred me into action. With my mom's help (are you sensing a theme here?) we sanded down the furniture, spray painted it black and embarked on my first attempt at sewing....recovering six cushions in indoor/outdoor fabric. Some people might recommend starting small with your first sewing project, but I tend to ignore all logic on those issues. Six cushions with zippers?! Sure! Why not? Can't be that hard right?
Well....um....it wasn't that bad. Mostly because I wasn't too meticulous about lining up the pattern on the seams or......you know.....sewing in a completely straight line.
All things considered, they turned out...great? Ok, "great" might be an overstatement. But they're definitely serviceable.
I'm declaring it a win...(and a huge savings from the quote I got to have someone else sew them...trust me, that was option #1).
If you're curious, I used this fabric. It was surprisingly hard to find an oversized, large scale, buffalo print check that was also indoor/outdoor fabric, but where there's a decorating will, there's a decorating way. I was inspired by Lorenzo Castillo's outdoor seating (here) and I'm really happy we went with it. It's cozy and timeless. On a practical level, they've already gotten a fair amount of use (aka abuse) and wipe down easily.
We used Rustoleum's primer, paint and clear seal for the frames. Sanding is hands down the most annoying part of this flip, but if you have a really nice mom it's a lot easier because she does most of that for you.
Without further ado, here are the final results...
I've yet to do anything with the table, chairs and swing that were purchased in the same batch, but hopefully we can tackle that in the next....you know....year.